Private messages

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
turboblack
Developer

Re: Private messages

Post by turboblack »

Thanks. maybe this is the way out. but it’s better not to put such large images on the page, at least out of respect for the people who upload these images. We usually use a small extension so that it can be viewed and does not take up much space. good form is (in my opinion) up to 1000 pixels wide
http://old.net.eu.org/ Get ready to hamsterization! 8-) code takes less than a kilobyte! shock!
https://github.com/turboblack/HamsterCMS new version for PHP 8 with new templates

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Agree about image size. It was the only one I had conveniently available at the time. I was in a theatre five minutes before the show started.

As you'll have seen smaller images will be centred.

My stylesheets normally limit page width to less than 1000px.

NorfolkGreg

Re: Sub-Page Bug

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Earlier you said...
the optimal number of pages is 3-7 pieces.
I'm not sure that I agree with that, but again, that's something that I may have lost in translation. I'm expecting the site I'm developing to grow to fifty pages and might be double that by the time I've covered all the topics I have in mind (I have at least 50 board games in my collection that I've acquired over the last 60 years to describe and review), and there's the WonderCMS support side that could easily surprise me with the way it grows.

If you said that was the optimal number of menu items, or pages set as "visible" under the MENU option on the Settings modal then I would have agreed but, in my view, that's not a fundamental limitation of WonderCMS, but rather a minor "bug" in the code generated for sub-page navigation.

Perhaps it's just me -- tell me it is different for you -- but, with a touch screen, I find it's too easy to find you've activated the top level link by touching the link for too long or, if you don't activate the link, you find you've opened the context menu instead. With the code as it is being able to open the sub-menu and pick a link on that is too hit and miss and that may be why you suggest the 3-7 page size for a site.

I suggest this is a bug because the current code generates a link for the top level item. I believe it should be a non-link tag as I described in my Wish List post. With that incorporated into the standard index.php file then multi-level menus become very possible.

Because my motivation is to encourage potential new webmasters, to graduate from Summernote to understanding the code that drives their sites much of my GregCustom theme is based on code found on the W3Schools site. That's why I would like WonderCMS to allow me to incorporate the code at:
https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_dropdown.asp
into my WonderCMS themes and so have almost unlimited menu levels.

turboblack
Developer

Post by turboblack »

The implementation of multi-page functionality on this CMS only works through hardcode; out of the box it is not intended for this. The purpose of the engine was to be able to deploy a simple web page without any coding by uploading PHP code to FTP, nothing more. what you and I know about this technique is very good, but it is not documented, and is hardly welcomed. Before you, 7-8 years ago I was harping on the topic of multi-pages, by creating sections and sub-sub sections that would be visible from the admin panel, and they could be opened with a link from a visible page. this way you create a page with links to pages, and this page can be called a section. This is a good technique, but ordinary users overcome themselves by registering hosting, attaching a domain to it (if they can), and uploading the engine to the hosting folder. This is where their body movements end, then they work mainly with what they have “out of the box”. installed the template, created several pages, filled it out. and that's all. if there are not enough tools in Summernote, they can type out the contents in Word, then copy and paste them into Summernote and save.
Initially, the mission of the CMS was that the user would not get into the code at all (and this is possible at the present stage, and 10 years ago it was also possible), but it would work right away.
To implement multi-page functionality out of the box, you need to expand the functionality of the engine. you can also rewrite the “blog”, but in essence it is not a blog but a set of cards on one page, without a date, and with very minimal functionality.
I have nothing against hardcode and templates of this type. I even welcome them. I don't like bootstrap and imposed adaptability. and teaching users how to work with code is more interesting, showing with your own example that lollipop sites are not so good.
http://old.net.eu.org/ Get ready to hamsterization! 8-) code takes less than a kilobyte! shock!
https://github.com/turboblack/HamsterCMS new version for PHP 8 with new templates