[SOLVED] URLs

CaptainCoffee

[SOLVED] URLs

Post by CaptainCoffee »

A nice feature would be to define a different URL as in the menu.
This solves problems with special chars in the menu and google would love my SEO-URLs.

For example:
menu > Über uns
URL > ueber-uns-in-deutschland

Thank you and good night
Martin

wiz
Admin

Re: URLs

Post by wiz »

Hello Captain.

Here's what we were working on in the past few weeks, and how it turned out.
1. WDJ developed an universal function which turned most of characters into their closest look alike (Über -> uber). Unfortunately, we couldn't cover Japanase, Chinese and some other high end UTF characters. We don't have a simple and small solution to solve this problem yet, as this is showing to be quite a huge problem in terms of code. WonderCMS is powered in less than 400 lines of code, and something like this would probably double the size. Like mentioned, trying to cover all scenarios in such a small CMS is very hard.

2. WDJ successfully created a slugging system which converts spaces and other characters such as < and > into the minus (-) character.
- This will create prettier URLs such as Über uns -> über-uns.

We're going to try to see how this works out for SEO, some big companies such as Yandex or Baidoo leave those special characters in the URL. I think this kind of makes sense as the user would never search for ueber-uns on Google.

The clean slug system and new menu functionality comes out in 2.1.0 in a few days.

Thank you very much for your input.

CaptainCoffee

Post by CaptainCoffee »

Sounds great :-) Can't wait.

wiz
Admin

Post by wiz »

CaptainCoffee, 2.1.0 is released. Log into your WonderCMS website to update and use the "slug" functionality.

NOTE: After updating, all your pages will be visible in the menu. You will have to "hide" the pages you don't want in the menu manually for the first time, since we're bringing this new menu functionality.

Let us know how you like it! :)

CaptainCoffee

Post by CaptainCoffee »

Dear Wiz,

I took some time for right project to choose wondercms.
Where can I activate the slug function?

Thank you

wiz
Admin

Post by wiz »

Hey Captain, the slug function is activated automatically. So you should have clean URLs since version 2.1.0 (including with the latest version 2.3.2).

Let us know if you have any more questions!