[PLUGIN ADDED] Monaco Editor

NorfolkGreg

Re: [PLUGIN ADDED] Monaco Editor

Post by NorfolkGreg »

My only computing qualification was a "Data Processing" module in a two year Business Studies day release course taken 1978-80, when I was 30.

The college had a "mini-computer" in its own air conditioned room. We students worked on teletype terminals. Somewhere I still have the printout of the first game of 3D noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe) where I beat the computer.

Got my hands on a Sharp MZ-80A four years later, taught myself BASIC, and later Z80 machine code. But I never got beyond Batch files when I graduated to MSDOS, after a period with Sharp's FDOS and CP/M.

I got online with FidoNet in the days of 1,200bps modems, before the public had access to the Internet. I wrote my first web site in 2000 which provided documentation, tricks and tips on Windows Recorder. Trouble is I haven't learnt anything new since around then and you may recall the story about old dogs and new tricks. I can tell you there's some truth in it! ;)

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

But, within my limits, I'll do what I can to assist.

mjxl

Post by mjxl »

Trouble is I haven't learnt anything new since around then and you may recall the story about old dogs and new tricks. I can tell you there's some truth in it! ;)
haha true story :D
NorfolkGreg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 pm
But, within my limits, I'll do what I can to assist.
Awesome, seems like you are likely more skilled to do this than me, haha!

I started IT some 20 years ago, and got kicked out (with half of the students) for never being there! (we prefered alcohol and loud music over school)

wiz
Admin

Post by wiz »

I just want to comment how wholesome this thread is because of you guys.
Love how the WonderCMS community is connecting. Thank you both so much for contributing and being warm and amazing people.

mjxl

Post by mjxl »

wiz wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:44 pm
I just want to comment how wholesome this thread is because of you guys.
👍😀

I've been on painkillers the past weeks, any update @NorfolkGreg ?

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Sorry to hear about the pain.

I think you may have misunderstood. While I have a good understanding of HTML and CSS all I can do with the likes of PHP and JavaScript is copy short snippets of other people's code and then use trial and error to adapt them.

You'll get the picture if you read through the Cloaking Email Addresses topic.

What this means I can't really offer much more than testing what others produce when it comes to work on plugins. :cry:

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Ah! I see you have read it!

mjxl

Post by mjxl »

Yes! Even tried to give some feedback!

Also I did get your background story, just messing about hehe 😋

NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

It's been a couple of years since I passed control of https://aivuk.org.uk to a non-techie. Now I'm working on my own site and am adding a general introduction to WonderCMS to it.
See https://gregchapman.uk/wondercms
I love the flexibility of the default editor as you can just paste in code from your preferred external editor. I'm about to re-write my Summernote page as I begin to realise that it really is great for brand new web developers who don't need a site bigger than three or four pages. I'm yet to tackle the Monco Editor page, and that's where you come in!

As you'll recall, I'm not a true coder. Once I moved to DOS from CP/M, and Z80 machine code, I never got beyond batch files! With a bit of trial and error I've begun to understand how to get Monaco to auto complete HTML tags, but there seems to be a lot of extra functionality in Monaco, beyond HTML (I recognise it's pedigree and understand why that may be) but it rather gets it the way of my learning, particularly the way it responds to a number of keystrokes I've seen listed on keyboard shortcut PDFs, when it switches to playing with the browser itself, not the content of my site. I'm not sure of the function of that in an embedded editor. Can anything be done to remove that functionality or am I just missing the point of why they are there?

Perhaps the thing that slowed down my learning was the dark theme. On the pop-up showing the list of suggested tag names to insert in the code, there's a very slight change in colour to a small box on the right that identifies the selected tag. I barely noticed it. Is there any chance of a change of default colour scheme that would make that easier to see? (I'm old fashioned enough to prefer a light theme!)

Also, is there any possibility of an update that would remove all the prompts for languages other the HTML?

(I've just discovered "Pocket Editor" which I've installed on my Chromebook and works well in "Resizable" mode. It seems to work well on my Andriod phone as well. It was this editor that finally gave me the idea about how Monaco'S auto-complete worked. It's advert and cost free but, unfortunately, closed source.)