Extra BR tags are being added above my table... Not sure whe

autodefrost
Premium User

Extra BR tags are being added above my table... Not sure whe

Post by autodefrost »

So to add a Table, all that need to be done was to add the tag to the EditText.php file. :D
However, the issue now is that extra BR tags are being added above the table when rendered in a browser (IE,FF,CH).
There are no BR tags above the table, No extra padding in the CSS. When the BR tag added/removed from the EditText.php file the BR tags are still rendered in the browser. :o

So where are these extra BR tags coming from, I have no idea. Has anyone else had an issue with extra tags appearing on the pages when rendered?

http://ramblewoodsoccer.org/?page=sponsors
Last edited by autodefrost on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

autodefrost
Premium User

Re: Formatting Text With Tables / Need Rows and Columns

Post by autodefrost »

So I found the 'EditTxt.php' file and added the '<table><tr><td>' tags and the table is now working . Whoot, Whoot.

However, now there is a weird space above the table. With Firebug, it''s showing <br/> repeated about 100 times, however in the code, there is no <br/> above the table.
I checked the CSS, nothing indicates that there should be padding above the table....So I wanted share this quark with others, to see if I'm overlooking something.

http://ramblewoodsoccer.org/?page=sponsors

wiz
Admin

Re: Extra BR tags are being added above my table... Not sure

Post by wiz »

This a bug we probably won't be able to attend due to developing the newer versions. However, there is a quick fix.

You can edit your file manually in /files/yourFile.txt and remove the <br>'s manually.
But the <br>'s will unfortunately be added next time you edit the page (with clicking in and out) - so you'd have to repeat the process until you are satisfied with your page.

I would also strongly recommend that you upgrade to the latest beta by clicking here, as it is pretty rock solid. Be sure to make a backup first.

autodefrost
Premium User

Post by autodefrost »

Thanks Rob.
I see what you mean. I think upgrading is probably the way to go.

I've installed a new version of the CMS, and tested the <table> tag and there is still space above the table:
http://ramblewoodsoccer.org/Upgrade/home

wiz
Admin

Post by wiz »

I tested this out on the latest beta, and you are completely correct, it adds breaks.

I had to test it myself to understand the problem. The problem is, that when you're doing tables, you enter a new tag into a new row (which causes a break).
The solution to this, is to put your table through this HTML minifier (which kicks out all the brakes).

So your minified HTML table would look like:

Code: Select all

<table cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="146"><strong>Established Customer</strong></td><td width="103"><p>Full Sided Field</p><p>(~120y X 70y)</p></td><td width="281"><p>$80 for each game (~2hrs.)</p><p>or $40 per hour for frisbee </p></td></tr><tr><td></td><td>With Lights</td><td><p></p><p>$130</p><p></p></td></tr><tr><td><strong>New Customer</strong></td><td><em>Per match</em></td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td>3 Fields or Less</td><td>$120 for each game</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>4 Fields or More</td><td>$100 </td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Field #1</td><td>$150</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>With Lights</td><td>$200</td></tr></tbody></table>
Here's a demo of how the table looks like.

I'm glad we got to the bottom of this. Marking this topic solved.
If you still have any questions or issues, opening a new thread is the way to go. :)