SUGGESTIONS: several small (I hope) things

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
grimblefritz

SUGGESTIONS: several small (I hope) things

Post by grimblefritz »

I've been using WCMS for over a month now. Like everything, it has pros and cons; however, for now it's doing the job I need it to do.

There are some niggles I've noticed, so I thought I'd make them into suggestions.

### BACKUPS ALERT

When creating a site and making frequent backups, it would be useful to have an option in admin to stop the warning about there being backup files.

In my process, I make several backups every day. I don't want to see the alert, but I also don't want to disable all messages until the next login.

### MENU PAGE LAYOUT

As the number of menu items increases, it would be more convenient if the home page selector and the SimpleSEO generate button were at the top of the list of menu items, rather than at the end.

### MENU POSITION TOP/BOTTOM

It would help in structuring menus if an item could be moved to the top or bottom of the current menu level. I'm thinking maybe double-arrow up/down arrows in addition to the current up/down arrows.

### MENU INDENT/OUTDENT

Less useful perhaps, but the ability to move a menu item to the parent level (outdent) would come in handy. Indent (move item to a child level) is more difficult as the question is, "To what child?", but it would also be useful. However, most often I find I've created an item as a child of an item when I actually meant to create it as a child of that item's parent.

### KEEP THE ADMIN DIALOG FROM CLOSING SO MUCH!

Making a significant number of changes, such as adding six new menu items and making them visible, is cumbersome. Create item, admin closes, open admin, open menu, find the new item, click to make visible, admin closes, open admin, open menu. Then repeat that five more times.

Even if the admin closed and then could auto-open back to the admin page where you were when it was force-closed, that would help.

### LOCK MODE FOR A PAGE

With a multilevel menu system, it's common for the head of a menu to have no content, only to open the menu. It would be useful if a menu item could be marked with lock, in addition to hide/show. A not visible page is only kept from the menu system, but can still be accessed by URL. A locked page should throw a 404 error if accessed by URL.

### MORE THAN ONE THEME PAGE LAYOUT

I have some pages that would benefit from a different layout than the primary layout. As this is all controlled in theme.php currently, it would be useful if there was a menu attribute to define which layout option a theme should use. Even it was just a null..n selector, theme.php could choose to implement whatever theme # happens to be (or the default theme.php if the selector is null.)