[SOLVED] Menu gets garbled in a foreign language

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
YSato

[SOLVED] Menu gets garbled in a foreign language

Post by YSato »

I truly LOVE the ease and simplicity of the software. It's really GREAT !!

But I have 1 issue... When I set my menu items in Japanese language, the menu items get displayed correctly in Japanese, but the raw data in settings is stored in garbled characters. Can someone please help?
OneManLaptop

Re: Menu gets garbled in a foreign language

Post by OneManLaptop »

Could you maybe provide a screenshot of what you're seeing, thanks.
YSato

Post by YSato »

Thank you for your reply !

Please let me share screenshots.

In visitor’s view mode, the sub menu under “About” successfully says “Test” in Japanese. But in admin’s settings mode, it’s garbled.

Thank you for your help !
Attachments
3A218B7E-5C98-4624-9E30-3A8DD35EDB9F.jpeg
3A218B7E-5C98-4624-9E30-3A8DD35EDB9F.jpeg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
079B9442-D052-4B57-8BF0-21C3FE34352E.jpeg
079B9442-D052-4B57-8BF0-21C3FE34352E.jpeg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
OneManLaptop

Post by OneManLaptop »

Thanks for that. Okay so I've taken a fresh install of WCMS and I've added Kanji to the menus and everything appears to be displaying correctly, so it would seem that there's nothing inherent to WCMS preventing kanji from displaying correctly.
Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 08.15.06.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 08.15.06.png (164.45 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
Here's what I recommend you try next:

1: Copy the kanji you wish to use and convert it to plain text, to make sure there's no rich text styling which is confusing the editor. You can use most text editors / email programs to do this.

2: Navigate to the admin panel and using the web inspector tool, just double check that the following meta tag is there (should be line three in the head):

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
3: If all that fails, just quickly download a fresh installation of WCMS, add the page again and see if the problem persists.

4: If the problem persists, I'm happy to take look at it directly, so just take the new installation you've made with the page created, zip up the folder and put it somewhere for me to download like Dropbox or Drive.
YSato

Post by YSato »

Thank you for your reply. No. 1 & 2 didn't help. Before going into no.3, I played with plugins and identified that Simple SEO plugin is causing this issue. If I remove, garbled characters display correctly. But if I installed it, the characters get garbled again.
OneManLaptop

Post by OneManLaptop »

Yup, confirmed. It's line 43 in the plugin (simple-seo.php) that's doing it. We'll need Wiz to tell us exactly what's happening but as far as I can tell it's searching the head and body and automatically replacing certain characters. This is obviously catching out the kanji. Wiz keeps a fairly close eye on the forum so I'm sure he'll be able to offer his thoughts soon.
wiz

Post by wiz »

YSato and OneManLaptop, hello!

The issue was reproduced and the plugin was fixed to include UTF-8 encoding.
The plugin update should be pushed to all users within the next 24 hours, so you'll be able to update Simple SEO plugin.

Thank you both so much for reporting and identifying the issue.