Suggestions to localize a wcms website

Weebey

Suggestions to localize a wcms website

Post by Weebey »

Hey guys,

Brand new here, but I'm happy to join this community of WonderCMS users!

I've been struggling with the complications of Wordpress theming, it's heavy and full of useless features that I'll never use.
So I'm officially switching to Wcms and been developing my own theme (a personal resume/online portfolio).

It's not fully ready yet as I need to optimize my code and minify the JS and CSS, but at this point it's very functional and responsive. I extended front-end functionality with javascript, while keeping the design minimalistic (I hope).
I'm pretty happy with the first speed test on pingdom tools: Image

My plan is to "gamify" my website and make it more fun: if you want to see my portfolio or know more about my skills and hobbies, you gotta answer quizzes and complete mini-games and challenges!

Anyway... I need to localize my website into several languages. Is there a native option to do that that I didn't see? Or would I need to replicate the installation in a subfolder and just translate everything there?

Thanks for any insight you can give me, and guys, awesome work with this cms I'm absolutely loving the minimalism, loading speed and ease of use! :D

-Weebey
NorfolkGreg

Re: Suggestions to localize a wcms website

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Weebey wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 am Anyway... I need to localize my website into several languages. Is there a native option to do that that I didn't see? Or would I need to replicate the installation in a subfolder and just translate everything there?
There's certainly no plug-in or other automated tool that will add a dropdown list of national flags to your header that when selected will translate your site for the visitor- if that's what you're after.

While they're certainly handy for the visitor they're beginning to become redundant now that it's not just the Chrome browser that offers a translate facility.
Weebey

Post by Weebey »

As a former professional translator, and being quality-oriented and perfectionist, I refuse to base my website translation on google.
I'm looking for a way to use a basic language file that the cms can pull from depending on the language set by the user... but it looks crazy time-consuming and i'm no expert coder. It would be so much easier and more convenient than installing several versions of my website in subfolders and translating html manually...
mjxl

Post by mjxl »

You could use i18n library for the actual switching between languages, you still need to translate content obviously.
turboblack

Post by turboblack »

Weebey wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 am Hey guys,

Brand new here, but I'm happy to join this community of WonderCMS users!

I've been struggling with the complications of Wordpress theming, it's heavy and full of useless features that I'll never use.
So I'm officially switching to Wcms and been developing my own theme (a personal resume/online portfolio).

It's not fully ready yet as I need to optimize my code and minify the JS and CSS, but at this point it's very functional and responsive. I extended front-end functionality with javascript, while keeping the design minimalistic (I hope).
I'm pretty happy with the first speed test on pingdom tools: Image

My plan is to "gamify" my website and make it more fun: if you want to see my portfolio or know more about my skills and hobbies, you gotta answer quizzes and complete mini-games and challenges!

Anyway... I need to localize my website into several languages. Is there a native option to do that that I didn't see? Or would I need to replicate the installation in a subfolder and just translate everything there?

Thanks for any insight you can give me, and guys, awesome work with this cms I'm absolutely loving the minimalism, loading speed and ease of use! :D

-Weebey
You have a great idea, good luck in your endeavors.
you can use the google translator widget if you can't handle writing a plugin
http://old.net.eu.org/ Get ready to hamsterization! 8-) code takes less than a kilobyte! shock!
https://github.com/turboblack/HamsterCMS new version for PHP 8 with new templates