Standardised Theme Format Proposal

NorfolkGreg

Standardised Theme Format Proposal

Post by NorfolkGreg »

In the belief that a major part of the audience for WonderCMS are new to web design and need as gentle introduction as possible to customising their site I have a proposal that I think would help new users ,and those that are better skilled and preparing a site for a client to maintain.

My GregCustom theme uses a technique I found used elsewhere in which all colours used are declared as variables at the top of the CSS file. It also has a "resources" folder that includes a readme file with a list of how each variable is used. The file also includes a number of sets of alternative colour variable definitions. As a result it is a very simple matter to change a colour scheme by replacing one set of colour definitions with another.

Within the existing themes the majority appear to colour variations of the same theme. I'd like to see all those themes edited to adopt the approach I've outlined above, but also seek ideas on how a standard for themes could be developed.

For example, I note that the Sky theme and all its predecessor default themes include a "css" folder that includes a "style.css" file and, in more recent cases, a "fonts" folder that contains any fonts used.

In contrast, while my "GregCustom" theme follows the first part of this, the fonts are not included but are accessed via a <link> tag in the head of the theme.php file, while I see that the "Watercolor" theme follows does the same as the "Sky" theme except that the "css" folder, in that example, is named "assets", perhaps understandable as in that theme there are additional JavaScript files used within the theme that are also found in that folder.

Standardising these variations would certainly make it easier for a first time web designer to learn from and use WonderCMS.

So what should the standard be?

Would it be better to have the "style.css" folder in a "css" or "assets" folder. Should all fonts used be included in the theme? Where should a fonts folder be located? Should any "functions.php" files be held in a particular folder? Should all themes include a "readme" with alternative colour schemes or other hints and tips for customisation?

I'm sure there's more to consider before any decision is taken!