[SOLVED] Remove editable area which is visible on all pages

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
kellerfrau

[SOLVED] Remove editable area which is visible on all pages

Post by kellerfrau »

Hi,

I would like to get rid of that "editable area which is visible on all pages" (and is displayed with all themes).

I already have a top navigation bar and a footer (with links), so that is sufficient for me as far as "must be shown on each page" goes.

How can I remove/change the code?
And how can I make this permanent, so the changes survive a WCMS update?
NorfolkGreg

Re: [REQUEST] Remove editable area which is visible on all pages

Post by NorfolkGreg »

The simple answer is to pick a theme that doesn't include it.

Adivvyo and Watercolor are examples.

After that it is a matter of editing an exiting template you like and cutting out that section of the theme.php file.
wiz

Post by wiz »

Hi!

Another trick is to make a copy of the theme in your themes folder, rename it (or upload it to GitHub or GitLab) and remove the block called "subside" from the theme itself, that way, the theme will never be overwritten.
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

wiz wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:18 am Another trick is to make a copy of the theme in your themes folder, rename it (or upload it to GitHub or GitLab) and remove the block called "subside" from the theme itself, that way, the theme will never be overwritten.
I'm probably being dim, but I get the bit about uploading to GitHub as then you can add it as a repository and the theme shows in WCMS, but how do I get my newly copied (renamed and edited) theme to show as available within WCMS. That seems to be a missing ninth step in the tutorial!
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

So, I've created a GitHub account and a repository for my theme and uploaded the files to it.
However, when I attempt to add the repository to my installation of WCMS I get an error "Repository not added - missing version file." But the file appears to be there. I've tried changing the contents of the version file to read 0.0.1 and 3.1.4 (The original was 3.0.8 as it's a recent installation and my new theme is copied from Essence)

What am I missing?
wiz

Post by wiz »

Hey Greg, can you check if you have the branch name "master", or "main"?
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

I'm so new to GitHub that I'm not sure where I'd find a "Branch"!

All I have done is register on the site, which created a profile, and then a repository, which shows as:
NorfolkGreg / ExtraMenu1

I did wonder if marking the Repository as "Private" would prevent WonderCMS from being able to add the repository.
kellerfrau

Post by kellerfrau »

wiz wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:18 am Hi!

Another trick is to make a copy of the theme in your themes folder, rename it (or upload it to GitHub or GitLab) and remove the block called "subside" from the theme itself, that way, the theme will never be overwritten.
Thanks. I have a local copy with a tweaked theme where I found that removing the subside block would remove that area.
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:57 pm I'm so new to GitHub that I'm not sure where I'd find a "Branch"!

All I have done is register on the site, which created a profile, and then a repository, which shows as:
NorfolkGreg / ExtraMenu1

I did wonder if marking the Repository as "Private" would prevent WonderCMS from being able to add the repository.
Ah! I begin to see where I went wrong. I need to fork Robiso's "Essence" not simply copy it!

I've managed to find where I rename "Master" to "Main". However, I won't want to keep the "Essence" name once I've tweaked it, and haven't yet discovered how I do that!

EDIT: Yes I have! It's under "Settings"!