Design, Simplicity and Speed

Welcome to the WonderCMS community. Anything goes, except for support requests.
astrit

Design, Simplicity and Speed

Post by astrit »

Hello everyone,

First of all I Would like to congratulate everyone who participated on this as it is by far the best CMS solution I have seen so far.

I like how fast it is, how secure it can be, how simple it is, how less space than usual CMS take.

I have been following this CMS development for a while now and installed it multiple times and looking how it goes.

I work as designer and might not be the right person for this but to be honest I liked more the idea of each page a file than this with a single JS file which probably if you are going to make a blog which I intend to: https://astrit.co/blog/ it is going to be messy.

This is my proposal:

I can make a User Interface and probably front end development of the settings "Admin Panel" and also the theme, login page etc like this something:
https://dribbble.com/shots/1400819-Options
https://dribbble.com/shots/2297269-COD-X
http://image.prntscr.com/image/e2f85a77 ... 5102f.jpeg

We can work together on that.

I would bring back the one file system.
I would create a feed page where facebook instant articles could take that.
I would make a dynamic amp file for each page and declare as that so google can index it.
I would integrate HTML5 history api into pages.
I would disable WYSIWYG instead use shortcuts CTRL+B for bold TAB for quote etc.

Plugins and Themes would remove completely but still optional (When a site is setup no one really needs to change the theme, they redo the whole site if is old).

As result you have fastest CMS, fastest website, SEO friendly which pretty much is a perfect solution for small businesses.

You might ask why ?

The reason why I searched for small CMS or exactly "smallest CMS in world" is that I am and was tired from wordpress 1000 plugins not stable at all, many files , image cropping into 100 places while the theme itself was 3-6 mb so it didn't make sense to me for small portfolio websites to be that heavy and messy.

I don't know what author first thought was but I feel that this CMS is losing the main feature.

WonderCMS is really a Wonder and I really really love it. Even that I work full time I gladly would help around it and launch a great website and promote and everything.

I am really sorry if I offended the 8 years of work but just felt like I had to say this.

Kind Regards.
wiz

Re: Design, Simplicity and Speed

Post by wiz »

Hello astrit and welcome to the community, I'm the project founder and maintainer.

Frist, let's make sure to write out some things that will never change about WonderCMS:
- WonderCMS will always try to be optimized even further and made even smaller
- plugins and themes are optional - we have never and still do not install any plugins or additional themes by default
- we still only have the index.php as the core main functionality
- there is no WYSIWYG editor included by default
- we have less files and lines with further improvements

The tradition since the beginning: keep it small, simple, secure, hassle free, always, and I don't think we've drifted from that, quite the opposite.
The database being in a .js file and being structured well, enables you to fetch data even easier than from a folder, it can be treated the same way. The structure is pretty easy, and we have even better options now for each page than we did with the one file one page structure. You can also edit all blog posts at once if you would edit the database.js directly. If you need a way to customize the admin interface, check an awesome contributors way of solving this https://github.com/prakai/wcms-_modern_settings. A plugin that would convert your database.js pages into /files/pages would also be do-able, but some developing would be required.

The default theme CSS is less than 50 lines and over the years we've decreased WonderCMS by a dozen times. Achieving the blog system is still relatively easy even without having "one file - one page", which brings additional trouble and step-backs.
Adding any sort of dramatic size increase as can be seen from a lot of necessary CSS in the screenshots would definitely change the years old tradition.

Most of your wishes can be accomplished with developing plugins, which what WonderCMS was promised to be about since version 0.4.1 - that we establish the simple core functionality, and everything else are optional plugins.

Please understand there will be many different people feeling the same way about one thing or another, and we want you, the user, to have the freedom of expressing your idea through this open source project which is why we've established the simple core functionality and opening WonderCMS to customizations through plugins.

I completely feel you when you say you searched for "smallest CMS" and not wanting to hassle with setups, additional files, backups, etc - this is one the main reasons I started this project - because I couldn't find anything that would fit those needs. In my opinion and experience, these needs are still fulfilled by WonderCMS. It's also really hard to try and please all users, which is why such a system needs to be in place.

If you feel that your improvements would achieve true greatness, please feel free to fork WonderCMS or develop a plugin, as we'd love to see any WonderCMS project outcomes. Some of your projects/plugins could be also features on our WonderCMS official pages.

Thank you very much for your opinion on this topic.

EDIT: If you're worried about the database.js size and loading the posts in the future, we've already optimized that in last couple of releases with pre-loading the database so you don't have to fetch it each time. Implementing a search will be also easier since you're searching within one file instead of specific content within hundreds of files.
turboblack

Re: Design, Simplicity and Speed

Post by turboblack »

Agrees with the previous speaker.

The fact is that the engine is focused on minimalists, minimalist projects, as well as minimalism in programming. The author showed us that small forms can also have large contents.

It is natural to make improvements and improvements to you no one interferes, for the benefit of the development of the project as a whole.

I believe that most users in the world use thick scripts with cumbersome plug-ins, only because the engines are popular, not because they are high-quality, and everyone likes big and powerful programs.

Now few users pay attention to the graphics, more look at the content. And I'll tell you what else - the content should match the appearance.

If you have a glamorous template for WordPress - it does not mean that you have a cool site. The site is your continuation, it's you on the Internet, why associate yourself, if you can create yourself?
http://old.net.eu.org/ Get ready to hamsterization! 8-) code takes less than a kilobyte! shock!
https://github.com/turboblack/HamsterCMS new version for PHP 8 with new templates