Another 404 problem solved

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
buenlimon

Another 404 problem solved

Post by buenlimon »

I have installed WonderCMS on my website server, in a sub directory.

I currently work in a company, but after the 1st of April I will have my own. For this I need a website different from the one I have now. It is a good idea to prepare this one in good time. I have tried a number of CMS systems as well as a number of static website generators. WonderCMS is really good. There might still be things to desire, but all in all it is the best software I have seen so far. You can count on my financial support.

I was not able to log into "loginURL" and hat 404 on all pages. I read all the documentation I could find, but didn't find a solution anywhere.

Then, in my ignorance and desperation I tried the following change:

Options -Indexes
ServerSignature Off
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /wonder
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ index.php?page=$1 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule database.js - [F]
RewriteRule cache.json - [F]

This solved the problem. It is the line "RewriteBase /wonder" - the name of the subdirectory in which I had placed WonderCMS. I am telling you this, because it might help others who encounter the same problem.
wiz

Re: Another 404 problem solved

Post by wiz »

Hi buenlimon, have a warm welcome at our community,

Really glad to hear WonderCMS it your liking, and would love to hear any feedback/your opinion on what you feel is missing or could be improved. Happy you've found a solution, but the issue might be also elsewhere (like hosting configuration specific, since we haven't seen this issue possibly in years).

In regards to the issue you've had, WonderCMS should automatically work from any subdirectory, depending on the server.
Could you provide more details as to what your hosting package / server is?

1. Are you using the latest WonderCMS version (3.1.4)? Yes/No
2. What type of server do you have. (Apache, NGINX, IIS)?
3. Are you using any specific host? If so, this might be the issue since this might be configured on a higher level.

We've tested uploading WonderCMS 3.1.4:
- in subdomains (wondercms.example.com)
- in subdirectories (example.com/wondercms/)
- in multiple subdirectiories (example.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/wondercms/)
and it worked in all scenarios.

Would love to figure out what's wrong and possibly add this to our documentation.
Feel free to open any issues here or at our GitHub if it's easier.

If you'd like, you can also join our Slack chat channel, which can be found in my signature.