[SOLVED] Summernote and sky theme

Ask for help or provide support to other members.
honu

[SOLVED] Summernote and sky theme

Post by honu »

Howdy All,

I just downloaded WonderCMS and installed in locally using XAMP. I installed the Sky theme and summernote editor. Summernote does work in other themes, but does not seem to in Sky. Is there something I need to do to enable it for Sky?
NorfolkGreg

Re: summernote and sky theme

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Sky is not a theme offered in my brand new and confirmed current version of WonderCMS. What version of WonderCMS are you running and what repository did you use to install Sky?
kellerfrau

Post by kellerfrau »

Hi,

I do have the same problem.

WonderCMS: downloaded latest version (3.14) from WonderCMS website
local install: XAMPP
online install: copy of local install

I tested all themes that are available from the Settings/Themes tab. I checked for updates before testing.

Result:

working themes = display the Summernote editor correctly:
- Essence
- Parallax
- Old Default
- Light Blue
- Violet
- Universe Gradient
- Default (2018-2020)
- w3css singlepage
- Material
- Abstract
- Bike
- Black
- Clean
- Carbide
- Dark Blue
- Fallout
- Gold
- Green
- Paper Lightweight
- Paper Portrait
- Pink
- Purple
- Red
- Super Mario
- Turbo's Default

themes where there is no editor bar displayed:
- Watercolor
- Sky

theme with error message:
- Adivvyo
Error: "Trying to get property 'content' of non-object in [path to WonderCMS]\themes\wcms-theme-adivvyo\functions.php on line 139

The results were the same with the local and web installations.

Sky is the name of the new default theme: https://github.com/robiso/sky/blob/master/README.md
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

My copy of WonderCMS was installed via Softaculous (a one-click app install service provided by my host) so I only have a copy on my server.

I can't replicate the "Trying to get property" issue you have with Adivvyo so assume there may be an issue with your installation to XAMPP that you have copied to your server.

However, I do find Watercolor and Sky ignore the Summernote editor and editing is only possible in HTML. They also both ignore the Additional Contents plugin.

As you suggest, it seems that Sky may have been intended as a new default theme, but until I saw your post and I went searching for it I hadn't discovered that you have to add its repository to your installation to make it available. I guess it was recognised that the current version isn't fully ready for the default distribution yet.

The main site has a few inconsistencies. For example it says that there will never be more than 25 themes available but currently there are (I think) 27 and I can't find the promised voting system to limit it to 25!
kellerfrau

Post by kellerfrau »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:49 pm I can't replicate the "Trying to get property" issue you have with Adivvyo so assume there may be an issue with your installation to XAMPP that you have copied to your server.
XAMPP runs out of the box and I only copied the wonderCMS files to my webspace for testing. But to be honest that error doesn't matter to me as I have no intention to use that theme.
However, I do find Watercolor and Sky ignore the Summernote editor and editing is only possible in HTML. They also both ignore the Additional Contents plugin.
Yes, both themes show the HTML code instead of the editor. The "Add new editable area" link on the starting page is not clickable.
As you suggest, it seems that Sky may have been intended as a new default theme, but until I saw your post and I went searching for it I hadn't discovered that you have to add its repository to your installation to make it available. I guess it was recognised that the current version isn't fully ready for the default distribution yet.
Yeah, that was weird. I thought, hey, I want the new shiny theme - where is it. But of course adding it was not the problem, the missing editor functionality is.
The main site has a few inconsistencies. For example it says that there will never be more than 25 themes available but currently there are (I think) 27 and I can't find the promised voting system to limit it to 25!
There are themes that let you select a colour variation. And then there are these many themes like Pink, Purple, Red, Green etc. that are the same and only the basic colour scheme is different. I think it would be useful to bundle these as one theme and then add a colour selector. That would reduce the overall number of themes nicely.

As with the limited number of plugins - to me that's artificial. I mean, if there were more and they were all super useful, then I am all for making them available. There are currently 16 plugins which are just language packs, and I don't know who in 2021 still needs a counter (I proudly rocked that stuff when I had a Geocities homepage in 1996) but of course I don't mind all of that! It's just that right now there are no plugins that need to be voted out.

My dirty workaround ATM is to use a different theme with Summernote to add all the contents and pages and whatnot and then switch back to a modified Sky theme.

I would appreciate it if I could just add a tweaked theme locally just like the ones from Github, there is no way to select an individual theme. If I add a new theme to the themes folder, it's not displayed on the themes selection page. EDIT: I do know that I am supposed to upload a theme and then get it from the online repository but I do want to mess with it locally, just on my XAMPP installation and only when everything is finished, upload the WonderCMS folder to a webspace. I know that the idea of "offline" is probably very old-school but I really would love to have that option.
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

I would appreciate it if I could just add a tweaked theme locally just like the ones from Github, there is no way to select an individual theme.
I find that a disappointment too! I'm still trying to find out how I can create my own theme locally. I'd be happy to share my work, but don't believe I am up to registering on GitHub. Perhaps I should post a new topic on just this issue. Maybe you'll get there first!

Trouble is I really only work with HTML/CSS All I know of PHP is how to include headers, menus and footers. I know nothing of JavaScript. While I was fine with Assembler programming the Z80 chip, once I moved to 16bit computing and DOS I never got beyond batch files!
I do want to mess with it locally, just on my XAMPP installation and only when everything is finished, upload the WonderCMS folder to a webspace. I know that the idea of "offline" is probably very old-school but I really would love to have that option.
I am with you on that! XAMPP is too resource hungry for my needs. I just have PHP installed and run its internal server, when developing a site.

I'm looking at WonderCMS to create a very simple site for a friend to keep updated. He is up to posting on a forum but not much more.
Last edited by NorfolkGreg on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kellerfrau

Post by kellerfrau »

I find that a disappointment too! I'm still trying to find out how I can create my own theme locally. I'd be happy to share my work, but don't believe I am up to registering on GitHub. Perhaps I should post a new topic on just this issue. Maybe you'll get there first!
I am using https://code.visualstudio.com/, so I copied the Sky theme into a new themes folder with a new name and then used extended search & replace to make WCMS believe that my local theme is valid. Yeah, I know, that's not how to do this professionally but the result counts, amirite? :D
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

So far I have done all but the search WCMS to point it at my copied theme. Any clues where that might be?
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Looks like it's right at the beginning of the database.js file!

I'll check it out tomorrow.
kellerfrau

Post by kellerfrau »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:44 pm Looks like it's right at the beginning of the database.js file!
Right!

Code: Select all

{
    "config": {
        "siteTitle": "my website title",
        "theme": "nameofyourtheme",