Moving a large Wordpress site

su1

Moving a large Wordpress site

Post by su1 »

Hello all,

I'm currently running a Wordpress website with a lot of content (>10,000 posts). Despite a lot of customization, due to the way Wordpress is coded I always get problems of high load on my server. Besides, I don't need most of Wordpress features, all my posts are static pages with no comments, no sidebar, no rss, nothing. Just pure content that is never updated.

I'm thus considering moving my site to a lighter CMS and I was thinking about WonderCMS. I have three questions in this regard:

- do you think WonderCMS could handle such a large website?
- is there an easy way to import the Wordpress XML file or Wordpress database with all my posts to WonderCMS ?
- do you know any other CMS that could play this role better than WonderCMS?

Thanks
wiz

Re: Moving a large Wordpress site

Post by wiz »

Hello su1!

To be honest, I don't think moving all that content would be appropriate nor would that be a solution to your problem. Let me explain why.

WonderCMS is running on text files. Imagine having 10.000 or more text files on your server in a single folder - it would burden the load time much more.
You would be also lacking a search function for your posts - and even if you made a customized search, it would probably take much more time to search through those 10.000 files than through a MYSQL search.

I wouldn't go this way, but I do have some other suggestions for you.

- WP - Optimize
- WP DB - Optimize

I think these alone should optimize the high load on your server.
And here are some WordPress alternatives.

Let me know if you try any of the mentioned above. If it still doesn't work as you imagined, I'd be glad to help you find another solution.
su1

Post by su1 »

Hi rob,

thank you for your reply.

The thing is my database is already well optimized, so the two plugins aren't useful for me. I really think the problems come from how Wordpress works: for example my host tells me that index.php and wp-cron.php are consuming a lot of ressources, and from what I've learnt those files are just regular wordpress files that are called each time a visitor/spider navigates through my site.

I'm surprised you're telling me files would burden the load much more: I thought this was how page caching was working, and loading one file only per page should be better than loading multiple files like what wordpress does?

About the search function, I won't use it a lot so it's not a big deal.

And about the alternatives, well that's what I'm looking for currently, but I thought cms with no database would be the best options. I might look at other cms based on Mysql but I don't know where to start...

Thanks again for your help.
wiz

Post by wiz »

I wrote a whole post, but I accidentally closed it, I'll try to recap what I wrote.

No problem, that's why I'm here for, among other things.

Flat file systems were never meant to be used for huge websites like yours. And you'd be surprised how well MYSQL does against flat file (when there's a huge amount of content). I would definitely suggest you don't go flat file.

Here are some other possible solutions:
- upgrade your server resources and read this article about WordPress hardware and processor limitations
- disable all unnecessary plugins (statistics or aksimet which might cause high load on your website)
- go to the official WordPress support forums and ask what can be done
- read what other members like you have done or tried to do to fix this -> article
- move to another host which provides better resources for the same price

WordPress loads the content from a MYSQL database, while WonderCMS includes them from the "files" folder. The path may seem shorter with WonderCMS, but long term and stress-wise, with 10.000 posts WonderCMS but just as over load your server.

I would gladly send you my work which I did for my diploma - the title is "MYSQL versus flat file systems", but it's in another language and you would have to Google Translate it, in order to understand anything.

Either way, you should definitely check Google before doing anything big ->WordPress high load solution (so I don't copy paste every website, and you can see what your visiting like this easier).

And some interesting statistics:

"Currently WordPress is the most popular free content management system available on the Internet. As builtwith.com states there are 4,488,777 websites using WordPress. 317,253 websites are within the most visited sites on the Internet.

Most amazing example for me is CNN Political Ticker. But there are more.
So the answer to the first question is pretty clear. Yes, WordPress can be used for building high load websites!"

-> Source

I think you don't or wont have to move to another platform, but we just have to find an appropriate and acceptable solution for you.
What options are acceptable for you?
su1

Post by su1 »

Thanks again.

In what language is "MYSQL versus flat file systems"?

I've already searched for a lot of information on Google and one of the conclusion I reached was to try another CMS. But I'll try again and ask for specific help at Wordpress.org.

Do you have any idea if what is advertised as "light" CMS using php, mysql and ajax like chyrp could help me?
wiz

Post by wiz »

su1 wrote:Thanks again.

In what language is "MYSQL versus flat file systems"?

I've already searched for a lot of information on Google and one of the conclusion I reached was to try another CMS. But I'll try again and ask for specific help at Wordpress.org.

Do you have any idea if what is advertised as "light" CMS using php, mysql and ajax like chyrp could help me?
No problem. I wrote "MYSQL versus flat file systems" in Slovenian.

Like I said, you have a couple of options, one of them is really finding out what's the real problem with the high load on the server (other than the wp-cron and the other file), or upgrading your server.

The "moving to another CMS" idea - would probably cost you some money (you would have to hire someone), or do it yourself - but I think it would only bring a lot of trouble for anyone doing it (due to the high amount of content).

I checked out Chyrp, and I see there's an option of importing from WordPress. I've read it's lightweight, but I can't exactly say how it handles the content as I haven't used it before.

I suggest you install it on a different domain or make a subdomain on your existing domain.
Try to import the content from WordPress and see what happens with the server load.
su1

Post by su1 »

I'll do that, I'll try to be sure that Wordpress can't be optimized more first and then I'll try to move to Chyrp if I'm not satisfied.

Thanks for your time.
wiz

Post by wiz »

I think that's the best path to choose. If you run into any problems and need any help, be sure to drop by.

No problem and good luck.
lemonkhan1177

Post by lemonkhan1177 »

I don't think moving all that content wouldn't be a good solution to your problem.