problem with linux

road kill

problem with linux

Post by road kill »

hello WonderCMS users :)

i have a little problem with editing my site in mozzilla on linux unbutu...

when i try to edit the web page, i get error message:
*Error* - unable to open Home
But don't panic!
Just set the correct read/write permissions to the files folder.
Find the /files/ folder and CHMOD it to 751.

If this still gives you problems, open up the /files/ folder, select all files and CHMOD them to 640.

If this doesn't work, use this forum.

so i try those things and nothing happens :(

did anyone have trubles with linux before ?

tnx for the answers :)
wiz

Re: problem with linux

Post by wiz »

Hello WonderCMS user. :)

Are you sure you made the files folder writable?

I'm not sure if this is a linux/browser problem, would you mind uploading WonderCMS to another folder of your website so I can give it a try? (I would also need the link to your website so I can test it.)
xss

Post by xss »

road kill,

in case you moved/copied the whole CMS to a local directory on your Ubuntu machine to run from a local webserver, you will probably have to correct some permissions because the /files/ folder is writable for you, but not for the webserver (usually user 'www'). The easiest way to make it work would be to open a terminal, change to WonderCMS' directory and there issue the following three commands:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R nobody:nogroup files/
sudo chmod 755 files/
sudo chmod -R 644 files/*.txt
That way the files should be writable for the webserver. The downside is that you won't be able to edit or change the files locally with the file manager. To make it work both for the webserver and yourself issue these commands instead (assuming your User ID is 1000, which is default on Ubuntu. To find out your User ID, run 'id -u <your user name>' in a terminal):

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R 1000:1000 files/
chmod 777 files/
chmod 666 files/*
This is really only recommendable if you are the sole user of your machine, or if your trust all other users!

The downside here is that you have to repeat at least the first and the third command whenever you create a new page from within WonderCMS, as the new page's txt file will be owned by nobody:nogroup again.

There are probably better ways, but I haven't tested that any further as my local WonderCMS installation is only a playground. ;)
¿ן ʇ,uop 'spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ןןɐ ʇı ʇoƃ ן 'ɹɐǝp ɥo
wiz

Post by wiz »

I tested WonderCMS on road kill's server, it just seems that the permissions aren't set correctly. If what xss suggested doesn't work, I'll see if I can make a custom script that could simply do the process for the user.

Road kill, are you sure you're doing it correctly?
xss

Post by xss »

Uhm.. If you could test it on road kill's server, rob, I might have misinterpreted his question. :mrgreen: As he spoke of his Ubuntu machine I assumed he was running the webserver and WonderCMS locally.

road kill, my instructions only apply to a local installation of WonderCMS, e.g. running from a XAMPP/LAMP webserver or any other local webserver package on your local Ubuntu machine. If you have uploaded WonderCMS via FTP to a remote server, they do not apply. In that case the permissions must be set up as described in the error message you posted. :ugeek:
¿ן ʇ,uop 'spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ןןɐ ʇı ʇoƃ ן 'ɹɐǝp ɥo