Backend translation

Welcome to the WonderCMS community. Anything goes, except for support requests.
d2boy

Backend translation

Post by d2boy »

Hi, everyone!

Could you tell me if I could translate the backend? Found this thread and some discussion at github dated 2017.

Any hooks or plugins for doing this without editing index.php?
StephanStanisic

Re: Backend translation

Post by StephanStanisic »

Hi d2boy, welcome to WonderCMS!

As far as I know it was something on the agenda back when themes got introduces. (Around version 1.0.0)
I do think this is something that can be really nice to have, but it would have to be added to the WonderCMS core in order to function optimally.

Do you need a translated backend for your website? I could help with creating a temporary function that would override the admin area with a different translation. This is a temporarily fix only, since it will probably not work when you upgrade WonderCMS to a new major version (You can upgrade, but if the update changes the admin page a lot, the plugin will probably break). Also, alerts would not be translated.
d2boy

Post by d2boy »

Yes, a translated backend sounds great.

It could help promote this CMS in non-English speaking countries.
wiz

Post by wiz »

Hi d2boy, welcome to the WonderCMS community.

Since keeping WonderCMS small is one of our core plans, maybe we could possibly think about how we can make the current backend accept translations through a plugin, of course with some core changes to the CMS.

I'm open to discussions in which could be lightest way to enable WonderCMS users to translate their backend (setting panel) with a plugin.
d2boy

Post by d2boy »

I see two ways of doing this:
1) Joomla way (keep translations inside the database.js). Make a Translation tab with lang1-lang2-lang3 fields, for example
2) Opencart way - create additional lang. files with strings translation, maybe with language postfixes (plugin_en.php, plugin_ru.php, plugin_es.php)